Global Opening WCEF+Climate – A Circular Economy by 2050: A Necessity for Climate Neutrality
Thursday, 15 April, 15:00 – 16:00 CEST, Channel 1
During the Global Opening of the World Circular Economy Forum + Climate, key actors from around the world will address the crucial role of a circular economy in the fight against climate change.
During WCEF+Climate representatives of governments, organisations, the private sector and civil society will discuss and share ideas on the need for an international just transition towards a low-carbon economy. The circular economy is critical for achieving the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and for meeting the goals of the Paris Agreement.
“It is time that we make a circular economy our worst-kept secret: a circular economy should be our ‘mainstream’ instrument to achieve climate objectives, complementing policies focused on renewable energy and energy efficiency.”
– Minister for the Environment of the Netherlands, Stientje van Veldhoven.
- H.E. Ms Stientje van Veldhoven, Minister for the Environment, the Netherlands
- Jyrki Katainen, President of The Finnish Innovation Fund Sitra
- H.E. Mr Frans Timmermans, Executive Vice President, European Commission
- H.E. Ms Carolina Schmidt, Minister of the Environment, Chile
- H.E. Mr Keriako Tobiko, Cabinet Secretary for the Ministry of Environment and Forestry, Kenya
- Joost de Kluijver, Chief Executive Officer of Closing the Loop
- H.E. Ms Inger Andersen, Executive Director, United Nations Environment Programme
- H.E. Mr Achim Steiner, Administrator, United Nations Development Programme
- Ovais Sarmad, Deputy Executive Secretary of United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC)
- Eefke van de Wouw, Audience Liaison – Environmentalist
- Ikenna Azuike, Moderator
Other sessions on WCEF+Climate day 1
- Circular Economy: A Prerequisite for Achieving Climate Neutrality
- Globalising the Circular Economy Dialogue
- Decent Work and Circularity in the End-of-Use Plastics Value Chain
- Circular Economy: Crucial in Achieving the SDGs?
- Let’s Talk about Money: The Role of a Circular Economy in the Climate-Finance Nexus
- Closing Day 1 – Let’s Go Circular: Closing the Loop from a Business Perspective